After a good workout you need to refuel your body! The key to any post-workout meal is to eat complex carbohydrates and lean protein. Also, don’t forget to hydrate with plenty of fluid. Smoothies are a simple, easy and yummy way to meet your body’s needs. There are hundreds of different smoothie recipes but we don’t always have the right ingredients! Creating your own smoothie recipe is simple and easy once you know how to do it.
Here are some quick tips to help you put together your own great post-workout smoothie with the ingredients you have at home:
- Pick at least 2 complex carbohydrates to go in your smoothie (If you want to do a fruit and vegetable smoothie make sure you have 2 parts fruit to 1 part vegetable so it still tastes fruity and sweet!)
- Pick at least 1 lean protein to put in your smoothie
- Pick at least 1 hydrating liquid to put in your smoothie
- The measurements listed are approximately for 1 serving so take this into account if you are making a smoothie for more than 1 person!
- For a thicker smoothie you can freeze the fruits/vegetables you use or use yogurt instead of liquid
- If you are using yogurt AND a hydrating liquid, use 1/2 cup of each
- 1 cup Spinach or kale
- 1 cup Frozen or fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries etc.)
- 1 Banana
- 1 Apple
- 1 cup Honeydew
- 1/2 cup Kiwi
- 1/2 cup Mango
- 1/2 cup Papaya
- 1 cup Peas
- 1/2 cup Carrots
- 1 Avocado
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 1 cup frozen or fresh cooked broccoli florets
- 1 cup Oranges
- 1/2 Lemon or lime
- 1 cup Cucumber slices
- 2 tablespoons Flax seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons Chia seeds
- Low-fat, plain yogurt or Greek yogurt (Try to get yogurt with the LEAST amount of sugar)
- Protein powder
- 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter or any type of nut butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, almonds or any other nuts you like
- Hemp seeds or powder
- 1 cup low-fat milk, almond milk , soy milk, rice milk etc.
- 1 cup 100% pure orange juice-no sugar added!
- 1 cup Coconut water
- 1 cup 100% pure fruit juice like pomegranate juice, blueberry juice, cranberry juice etc.
- Non-sweetened ice tea or green tea
- 1 cup of coffee
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Seasonings like ginger, mint, cinnamon, lavender, turmeric, etc. (To taste)